Member of the Italian National Network
The medieval town of Brisighella is located on the road connecting Faenza to Florence amidst the green hills of the Romagnolo Apennines. This is a land with the vocation for hospitality, high living standards and sustainable tourism, which has recently achieved important recognitions such as "Borghi più Belli d’Italia” (one of Italy’s most beautiful villages), Città Slow and the Orange Flag for the Italian Touring Club.
Brisighella lies at the feet of the “Tre Colli” (three hills of gypsum), on top of which are the “Rocca Manfrediana and Veneziana”, a beautiful example of a medieval military fortress, the “Torre dell’Orologio” clock tower, a defence bastion built in 1290 and the Monticino Sanctuary, an ancient sanctuary dedicated to the Madonna dating back to the 18th century. The town still has its medieval urban structure, made up of a labyrinth of old lanes, parts of the city walls and steps sculptured from gypsum. The dominating street is the old “Via del Borgo”, a 12th century elevated and covered street with light coming in from the half arches of different sizes, serving as a defence bastion for the medieval village behind it. Once uncovered, the street was a guard’s walkway and traffic route. It was later covered and incorporated by the homes when it lost its defence function. Subsequently, the area was inhabited by the “birocciai” or carters, who transported the gypsum from the quarries above the town on donkeys, giving the road the name of “Via degli Asini”. The stables were located opposite the arches whilst the homes were on the upper levels. The wagons called “birocce” were placed in the large rooms dug out of the gypsum that opened up on the piazza below.
Brisighella is the birth place of eight Cardinals and there are a number of sacred buildings and places of worship. The most important of these are the “Pieve di San Giovanni in Ottavo”, a suggestive temple in Romanesque style and the Church of the “Collegiata”, which houses several important art works including a table by Palmezzano.
In the ex “Palazzo della Pretura” below the Via degli Asini is the “Giuseppe Ugonia” Civic Museum, which houses a collection of works by the famous lithographer, paintings by Guercino and Bertucci, 1700’s ceramic pieces and polychrome terracotta.
Lovers of nature and trekking will find lots of places to see in the natural beauty of the "Vena del Gesso Romagnola” Regional Park, a natural reserve with geological points of interest and rich in flora and fauna. Inside the park is the “Cà Carnè” Visitors Centre, and there is also the Cava Monticino Geological Museum with its collection of peculiarities and karstic phenomena of the Vena del Gesso Romagnola.
Thanks also to its ancient Thermal Springs and its historical, artistic, food and wine and naturalistic heritage, Brisighella is the ideal place for holidays where you can find wellness, culture and gastronomic delights.