Member of the China National Network
Luzhi is located in the southeast of Suzhou, Jiangsu Province. The total area of the town is 120 square kilometers (including the water area of Chenghu Lake is 45 square kilometers). It administers 16 administrative villages and 2 communities. The town has a registered population of nearly 70,000 and the resident population is over 200,000.It is also blessed with many honorary titles, such as The First Group of Rated National Historical and Cultural Towns, The First Group of Rated National Small Towns with Characteristics, National Major Towns, National Famous Tourism Towns (Villages) with Characteristic Landscape, Chinese Folk Culture Art Village, Beautiful & Livable Town of the State, National 4A Grade Tourist Attractions, and National beautiful Town. It has excellent location and convenient transportation. It is adjacent to Suzhou Industrial Park and Kunshan . Shanghai Changchun Expressway and Changjia Expressway pass through the town. It takes half an hour to reach Shanghai and 2 hours to Nanjing, Hangzhou and other major cities in the Yangtze River Delta.
Luzhi, the original name of which in ancient times is called FuLi, enjoys a long and rich history of 2500 years as the ancient city of Suzhou, and owns the Statue-Wall of Arhats in the Baosheng Temple and the Waterside Village Women Dress as its two national treasures. According to the prehistoric cultural relics in Luzhi, the developmental origins can be traced back to the Liangzhu culture about 6,000 years ago. During the Spring and Autumn Period and the Warring States Period,Helv, the king of Wu, built the palace in the southwest of FuLi,and Fuchai, the king of Wu, built the palace in the north of FuLi.The two generations of kings looked at this feng shui treasure in Fuli, and the Fuli became prosperous and became a market. After the establishment of the county system in the Qin Dynasty, Luzhi was under the jurisdiction of Wu County. Since the Ming Dynasty, there has been another name for Liuzhi. During the Qing Emperor Qianlong's reign, the writing of ‘Luzhi’ was used until now. Because of its small bridge and flowing water, the profound cultural heritage, the perfect water town appearance, and the original living atmosphere of the residents, it has become a model of the traditional ancient town of the south of the Yangtze River, which has always been respected by the world. In the historical origins, with the aboriginal life gradually formed, it is a typical traditional and original ecological water town.
In 2017, Luzhi fiscal revenue and public finance budget revenue reached 2.045 billion yuan and 1.156 billion yuan, an increase of 15.7% and 22.3%. From January to April 2018, the fiscal revenue and public budget revenues were 1 billion yuan and 548 million yuan, a year-on-year increase of 42.14% and 37.65%, and the total industrial output value reached 7.376 billion yuan, an increase of 17.38%, of which the industrial output value was 4.507 billion yuan, an increase of 19.13%. And all the data showed a healthy and strong growth trend.
Presence of Slow Food presidia
Mingshi Road NO.21,Luzhi,Wuzhong District,Suzhou City,Jiangsu Province,China
The population of Luzhi is less than 50,000 people. It has a good sewage treatment and recycling system, waste sorting and harmless treatment, systematic medical system and community medical institutions, and traditional farming and handicraft culture. The local residents’ attitude towards a slow-paced life has taken shape.
Luzhi and Tibet Lhasa Linzhou County are paired to help the sister city and provide economic support for Linzhou County.
- In November 2003, Luzhi was awarded “China's Famous Historical and Cultural Town” and became one of the first ten historical and cultural towns announced in China;
- In December 2003, Luzhi was awarded the “Outstanding Achievement Award for the Protection of Cultural Heritage in the Asia-Pacific Region in 2003” by UNESCO;
- In January 2004, the Luzhi Cultural Relics Exhibition Hall was opened, and the newly discovered cultural relics of the Chenghu site were first exhibited in the museum;
- In January 2005, the Wuzhong District Luzhi Town Charity Fund Branch was established;
- In May 2006, the Waterside Village Women Dress was approved by the State Council [Guo Fa (2006) No. 18] and published as the first batch of national intangible cultural heritage, listed in the protection list;
- In April 2008, the groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of Luzhi Jiangnan Water Town Folk Museum and the Jiangnan Water Town Cultural Park was held.
- In August 2014, Luzhi was listed as a national key town;
- In January 2015, the Luzhi Visitor Center was opened, and the new museum of Zhangxing Art Museum and Ye Shengtao Memorial Hall was opened;
- In October 2016, Luzhi was awarded the first batch of towns with Chinese characteristics;
- In January 2017, Ye Shengtao Research Center was established in Luzhi;
- In October 2017, Luzhi was awarded the National Garden City in 2017;
- In June 2018, Luzhi successfully awarded the license to join the Cittaslow.
The craftsmanship of Luzhi Radish is a provincial-level intangible cultural heritage, which is refreshing and delicious;
Luzhi Water Eight Immortals includes Qianshi(Jitoumi), Jiaobai, Lianou, Shuiqin, Cigu, Biqi, Yunai and Lingjiao. Qianshi is the geographical indication product of agricultural products of the Ministry of agriculture of China.
The mayor of Luzhi:
Chen Julin, male, born in November 1967, Suzhou, Jiangsu Province, graduated from the Wuhan Institute of Technology Online Education School of Law, and is currently the mayor of the Luzhi People's Government.
Representative of Luzhi International Cittaslow Construction Technician:
Zhou Wenxue, male, born in January 1971, Suzhou, Jiangsu Province, graduated from Suzhou Urban Construction Environmental Protection College. Now he is the Chairman of Suzhou Chenghu Modern Science and Technology Ecological Agriculture Development Co., Ltd.