Santa Sofia

Member of the

Representative of Cittaslow
Catia Collinelli - Ufficio Cultura Zona Due Valli, Comuni di Galeata S. Sofia, Premilcuore 
Tel. 0543-975429 – Fax. 0543-981021 
cultura@comune.galeata.fo.it

Giuseppe Michelacci - Ufficio Cultura Zona Due Valli, Comuni di Galeata S. Sofia, Premilcuore 
Tel. 0543-975428 – Fax. 0543-981021 
cultura@comune.galeata.fo.it

Ancient border land along the Bidente river, rich in history, ancient castles and small isolated villages, this town has a curious history: it was divided in two by the Bidente river and for a long period had two names: Santa Sofia was the name of the part of the town on the left bank and Mortano the name of the part on the right bank. This division coincided with the border between Papal Romagna and Tuscany. In 1923 the village passed to the province of  Forlì and in 1924 passed under the municipal administration of Santa Sofia ratifying the Union.

Witnesses of the ancient religious communities and monastic settlements  are the important works of art kept in the churches of Corniolo and Isola. 

In Santa Sofia, on the right bank of the river, there is the "Stoppioni" Contemporary Art Gallery. The Art Gallery is connected to the Park of outdoor sculptures. 
Santa Sofia also offers natural works of art, which are part of the National Park of the Casentino Forests. In winter, skiing lovers  will find well-equiped skiing facilities and warm hospitality. 
Also the Ridracoli Dam, is worth a visit. Nearby you can see the magnificent dam with an artificial lake and a green forest behind it.