Member of the French National Network
Our town is situated in Gironde in the French region « Aquitaine », 11 km away from Bordeaux, in the South West of France, at the gates of Médoc. About 15 300 inhabitants, a surface area of 33 km².
HISTORY AND ECONOMY
Inhabited 2000 years B.C., the history of Blanquefort and its economy are closely linked to the existence of numerous castles built in the XI, XVII and XVIII centuries : they showed the dynamism of the city whose economic life was mainly the vineyard.
Economic crisis and a vine disease have led the town to move towards a modern economy by developing an industrial site on some of its old marshes.
In 1971, the Ford factory opened.
Today the site has become an “Ecoparc” which encourages the activities connected to sustainable development : eco-friendly building, eco-friendly energies and eco-friendly technologies.
It has become the biggest industrial estate in the region.
a few figures :
7800 employees, 17 schools, 120 hectares of parks, over 140 associations.
PROJECTS WHICH EXPRESS THE CITTASLOW PHILOSOPHY
- Creation of the “Atelier des Mobilités Modernes” to encourage the inhabitants to use alternative ways of transport.
- Restructuring of an old “cowshed” with an educational, cultural and social purpose.
- The “Atelier de cuisine nomade” (a cooking workshop) : a place of vocational training for adults following a retraining course. They sell “today’s specials” with slow food products.
- A twinning projet with a european country
PROJECTS WITH OTHER TOWNS :
- Setting up of an establishment of cultural cooperation : the EPCC with St-Médard-en-Jalles
- “L’Eté des Jalles” : 8 towns have gathered together to offer during each summer a program of activities to discover the territory and its natural areas thanks to typical events.
MAINS EVENTS ORGANIZED BY BLANQUEFORT
- “Festival de l’Echappée Belle” : it takes place in june for a week (cultural shows, drama festivals with French, European and international street artists)
“La rentrée des assos” : Every year in September. People can meet local associations, join them, watch their displays and demonstrations.
- “Le Festival nature” (the nature Festival). In september, for a few days, an environmentally friendly event.
- “Jubil à Jongles” to show streets arts with jugglers, fire-eaters etc..
- A new year’Eve party for the destitute families.
-“Toques de Rue” festival : the cooks of the cooking workshop are going to present to the inhabitants good plates according to the slowfood philosophy, give advices and exchange new ideas. First festival in 2014, for the cittaslow Sunday.
- Production of wines and “Garluche” (a special drink with a few drops of rum, white wine and spices….)
- Creation of an AMAP : an association for local producers to promote traditional and organic farming
CITTASLOW REFERENT PERSONS
Véronique Ferreira, Mayor. 12 rue Dupaty 33290 Blanquefort.Veronique.email@example.com
Aysel Azik, local councillor to the mayor for international firstname.lastname@example.org Tel : 06 22 68 78 76
Nadine FAYE : Direttrice gabinetto Tel 05 56 57 48 66 ; 07 89 49 60 42 . Fax 05 56 95 56 46 email@example.com